Hotel Kriopigi Halkidiki  Villa Despina green suites  Thessaloniki to Halkidiki rent a car   Sunday Summer Resort, Gerakini   Minivan transfers  Siviri Rental Houses  

Archives

Posted by

Geroplatanos

It is located on the foothills of Mount Holomontas and in the 2001 Consensus had 449 residents. The cultural club “Geroplatanos” organizes various happenings throughout the year.

The chapel of Panagia (Our Lady) on a wooded area filled with plane and walnut trees is one of the most noteworthy sights in the village. Paleochori and Geroplatanos form the Zervochoria which have given their name also to the Municipality.

The name of the village comes from the long-lived plane tree, standing in the village square at more than 20m. high, while its perimeter exceeds 15m. The tree has indeed been declared and listed as a monument of nature in 1976.

Posted by

Pirgadikia

Pirgadikia Halkidiki

Pirgadikia is an amphitheater built village over the sea with a view of the magnificent Mount Athos and the peninsula of Sithonia. This village abstains 100 km from Thessaloniki and 35 km from Poliyiros .

Pirgadikia (or Saint Dimitrios) was established after 1922 by Asia Minor refugees of Afthoni Marmara. The ancient city “Piloros” was situated at the peninsula of Pirgadikia . It is the second city where the army of Xerxis passed after the passage of Athos canal. It is referred to the Athens alliance catalogues until 433 bC.

Association of Tourist Accommodation “XENIOS ZEUS”

Posted by

Ouranoupoli

Ouranoupoli Halkidiki

Ouranoupoli Halkidiki – The gate to Mount Athos

The long, winding road comes to an abrupt end 145 km from Thessaloniki and the airport, at the foot of an old tower. This is the end of the road, the border to the unique monastic state of Mount Athos, the Holy Mountain. This is the picturesque village of Ouranoupoli. Approximately a hundred houses huddling around a Byzantine tower, on the north finger of the Halkidiki peninsula in Northern Greece. The gateway to Mount Athos, the port of passage for pilgrims and scholars alike who visit this unique monastic republic. The small village blessed with a mild climate (click here to see today’s weather), a clear blue sea and endless golden beaches.

The most memorable view of Ouranoupolis is from the top of the hill just after the town of Ierissos, at the point where the road crosses over from the north to the south side of the Athos peninsula. Pass the tiny whitewashed chapel of St Paul to the left, then a couple of sharp bends and the bay of Agio Oros unfolds in front of your eyes. To the left lies the village of Nea Roda, the place where Xerxes, the Persian King, cut a canal across the peninsula for his ships to pass. To the right by the shore lies the hamlet of Tripity, and further across the limpid sea the long island of Ammouliani, like a dark green lizard sunning itself. At the foot of Ammuliani are the Drenia Islands, a group of uninhabited islets, some no more than tiny rocky outcrops, charcoals scattered by some giant hand in ancient times. Follow the yellow line of sandy coastline straight ahead, and far in the distance a tower rises from the unruffled blue sea, white houses sprawling away from it, bathing in the early morning sunlight. And even further in the horizon, like a giant background, the grey snow capped summit of Mount Athos appears in the early morning mist.

Because of it’s relative isolation Ouranoupolis has not been effected by mass tourism. It was part of Mount Athos until 1922, when approximately 50 families, Greek refugees from Asia Minor arrived under the auspices of the League of Nations, looking for a new home. The land was provided by Mount Athos and each family was given an one bedroom house, an arid plot of land and ten sheep. More families arrived four years later. Without a road to connect it to the rest of the world the village remained isolated and life was hard. In 1947 the locals took shovels and spades and cut a crude dirt-track road which ended the isolation and brought the very first adventurous tourists to the village.

The promenade on the west side of the village by the port, with it’s restaurants and cafes, is a wonderful place to leisurely spend the whole day, under the shaded foliage, by the sea, and watch the world go by. The little port is busy. Very early in the morning monks in black habits and pilgrims hurry to catch the boat for Mount Athos. Small wooden fishing boats arrive with the day’s catch. Later come the tourists, boarding large boats for the daily tour, eager to see the towering monasteries of the Holy Mountain from a distance. Finally smaller open boats with white canopies, start their regular trips to the islands opposite. Throughout the day private and hire boats leave for every direction, looking to discover a new beach, a deserted cove, to enjoy the warm sun and the clear blue sea. They will be seen again in late afternoon, appearing through a sea of yellow and crimson, while the perfect red disk of the sun lowers itself far in the distance, reflecting a flaming stream on the calm sea. Everybody makes for the restaurants by the sea, to while the evening with friends, recounting the day’s exploits. At night, the lights of the restaurants along the promenade mirror on the limpid sea, forming mysterious flashing patterns. Far in the distance the lights of Amouliani, the monotonous flashing of the lighthouse, the flickering lamps of the fishing boats, a wonderful, magical world out there.

Where to stay

Makedonia Hotel

Ouranoupolis Princess

Photos

Posted by

Ammouliani

Ammouliani village view Halkidiki

Ammouliani, island in Halkidiki

The Ammouliani is the only inhabited island of Halkidiki in size 5 square kilometers. Distance from Tripiti 3.5 km which is associated with vaporettos, the trip takes about 10-15 minutes and 130 km from Thessaloniki.

The current settlement founded by Greek refugees from the Sea of Marmara in 1923. Until then, the island was a dependency of Vatopedi. There are also the premises of the temple, the arsenal, school, club.

Do not miss to do some diving in crystal clear and full of fine sand beaches (Alikes, Saint George) ideal for the whole family and more.

On the perimeter there are small islands (Gaidouronisi, Pan, Mouse) with beautiful sandy beaches. You can rent a boat or from Tripiti Ouranoupoli and take a boat trip around the islands.

There are small taverns with good food and great service. Also apartments and rooms, camping ready to accommodate you.

Worth a visit, you will love.

Where to stay

 


 

Photos

Posted by

Dionysiou

Dionisiou is a village that has 1303 inhabitants who multiply during the summer as the village represents a “summer’s refugee” for thousands of tourists.

The seaside settlement absorbs a great part of the region’s tourism. It has a model street planning, as it’ s built along Thermaikos Gulf and it has a clear sea.

The visitor can spend a day in Dionisiou, enjoying the sea, taking a walk on the beach, and finally tasting delicious snacks in one of the many taverns or going to one of the village’s bars.

Posted by

Nea Flogita

Nea Flogita Halkidiki

Nea Flogita, West coast of Halkidiki

Nea Flogita is a seaside village built amphitheatrically with a view to Thermaikos gulf, at west coast fo Halkidiki.

It has 1501 inhabitants who during summertime come up to some thousands.

There is an organized sandy beach, decorated with 600 palm trees and the sea is one of the most beautiful and cleanest beaches of the prefecture. The main activities of the habitats are agriculture and tourism.

Along the sea front there are many tavernas, fast foods, shops, confectioners, beach bar, cafes, and nightclubs.

The atmosphere in the height of the summer season is that of a “party style village”.

Where to stay

Photos

Posted by

Simantra

Simantra is near the Nea Moudania, with 2526 inhabitants, who are mainly occupied with agriculture and trade.

One of the biggest carnivals of Halkidiki is organized in Simantra by local bodies, under the auspices of the Municipal Council.

History:
Simantra is a refugee’s village, built by the refugees of Artaki of Propontida and Sementra of Kappadokia, from which later on it was named after. Its habitants set up in the settlement, which was then named Karkara in 1922 and 1924 respectively.

Posted by

Petralona

The first settlement built by Pontus in Asia Minor.

Today the Municipal District Petralona with 377 residents classified as upland area with an altitude of 270 meters. Mountain “Goat” for the largest proportion of which is included in this apartment – the cave Petralona worldwide known for its important prehistoric finds such as the skull of Archanthropus and numerous bones of prehistoric animals. The main activities of the inhabitants are mainly rural farming grain and livestock, generally sheep.

Posted by

Olinthos

Located in West coast of Halkidiki and it is lowland. The distance from Polygyro is 24 km.

Tradition attributes the foundation of the city the name of the hero Olynthus, son of the river god Strymon, Herodotus says conquered by Bottiaiei of Emathia of 7ouai . eg when after prosecution by the Macedonians, moved in Halkidiki and settled in South Hill.

Posted by

Nea Triglia

The Nea Triglia founded in 1922 after the Asia Minor Catastrophe in the preexisting settlement Souflari. The first inhabitants of the village , in the most part , came from the eponymous city of Bosporus .

It is located about 4 km from the west coast of Halkidiki to the Thermaikos Gulf and the agrarian region extends to the shoreline .

The area is flat and strongly rural – Forage thing that determines the main occupation of the inhabitants who are engaging in primary production (agriculture and livestock)

Posted by

Nea Plagia

The population of beachfront village of Nea Plagia is 1,171 residents, historically associated with the slopes of Eastern Thrace. The first settlement was built in 1924 by refugees from Eastern Thrace. The original location was near the monastery then KARAMANEA in place of a swamp , where with the help of the monks built the first houses and gradually turned into fertile marsh land .

The village was named New Plagia to keep alive the memories of the old homeland.

Today, the visitor meets the beach of Nea sideways along the settlement where the clean sandy beaches are home to thousands of bathers in the summer months. Another feature of the village are the numerous parks with all kinds of flowers and trees highlight on the local flora .

Posted by

Nea Moudania

Nea Moudania Halkidiki

Nea Moudania Halkidiki

The town of Nea Moudania has an intense tourist and financial activity, and aspires becoming the educational center of Halkidiki, as a Technical Education Institute (T.E.I) operates there. Nea Moudania is situated 60 km away from Thessaloniki.

They are connected with a through a highway, which goes through vineyards and hills. The buses to Halkidiki (KTEL) are very often (every quarter of an hour) and they connect Nea Moudania with Thessaloniki and the rest of Halkidiki. “Macedonia” airport is only 35 km far from the town.A great olive plantation is located at the outskirts of Nea Moudania, which in 1923 represented one of town’s pioneer settlers’ motivations.

After having seen the olive plantation, the visitor can admire the magnificent sea. The depth of the waters is ideal for the young visitors, as well as for those who are not very good swimmers.At the beach of Nea Moudania the visitor can enjoy some coffee, fresh fish and also some ouzo snacks that are being served at the fish-taverns.During the summer a cinema operates in the town. The visitor can spend some unforgettable moments at the various bars and clubs.

At the highest point of the town, the so-called “the hill of Panagia (Virgin Mary) Koryfini” a small basilica church is built in an enchanting environment. The icon of Panagia Koryfini, which traveled all the way from Kalolimnos of Near East, is kept there. The Virgin Mary is honored every year on the 8th September, day of a local holiday, with special celebrations, The romantic visitor can enjoy the wonderful sunset behind Mount Olympus, in the numerous cafés in the center of N. Moudania. When the weather conditions are good, the visitor can take pictures with the peninsula of Kassandra as a background.

The Open-air Theatre, ornament of the town, has a capacity of 2000 seats and there the visitor can see some quality theatre productions and high-class concerts, which are hosted within he “Sea Festival” during the summer. The Theatre is built in an area next to the sea and this summer promises to fascinate its spectators. A remarkable unique of a kind museum of marine exhibits and seashells, and a folklore museum with exhibits of the unforgettable homeland of the residents, are located in Nea Moudania.In mid-July the cultural club “Faros” and the Municipality of Moudania, organize a week of folklore meetings and thus offer to the locals and to the visitors unforgettable moments of entertainment. This event includes dance, music and theatrical shows. This week ends on Sunday with the well-known “Sardine festival”, a feast characterized by the smell of grilled sardine and retsina, which openhandedly are offered to everyone.

After the establishment of the Technical Education Institute of Thessaloniki (T.E.I) branch the Municipality has all kinds of educational levels, i.e., crèches and day nurseries, Preschools, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, TEE (technical high school), Senior High School, IEK (vocational high school), Conservatoires, etc. An indoor gymnasium, football fields with sod, of the classic type (5X5) and other sports fields, such as basketball, volleyball and tennis courts encouraged the development of basketball, volleyball and football teams, which successfully participated into top league categories.

Every year, beach soccer, beach volley, and beach tennis games are organized, with participations from all over Greece. The Yachting Club of Nea Moudania, with its numerous activities, has won many international honors with its sailing courses and in international fishing competitions.In Nea Moudania there is a Health Center, a great number of private surgeries and laboratories of almost every specialization.

There are many pharmacies on a daily twenty-four hour base as well as a public veterinary hospital and four pets’ surgeries. A new deluxe hotel unit will open soon, with a contemporaneous conference room and a spa center.

The quantities of fish catch are very important, as one of the biggest fish-wharf is located in N. Moudania. The cultivated land area is 110,000,000 sq. meters. The main production is olives, peanuts, apricots etc. Olive presses and olive, salted preserves and fruit packing factories serve the needs of the consumers. These products are also exported to many countries abroad.The town of Nea Moudania, the centre of the Municipality, is the main commercial center of Halkidiki. Branches of the Agricultural Bank, National Bank, Commercial, Piraeus and ALPHA bank, all with automatic transaction machines (ATM), are situated there. Many big supermarkets and many good commercial shops exist to cover the consumers’ needs.

Every Wednesday, the biggest outdoors market in Halkidiki takes place. Furthermore, there are some factories of agricultural machinery and other manufactures.

Posted by

Nea Kallkiratia

Nea Kallkiratia was established after the refugee destruction in 1922, mainly by the residents who came from kallikrateia of Eastern Thrace and set up in the area, where the metohi of the Xenofontos Monastery of Mount Athos existed and it was called “Stomion”. Many testimonies report that it was inhabited by the prehistoric years, however they are not confirmed.

Excavations brought to light a headstone with a gable, which represents a girl with a pigeon on her left arm. The finding is kept in the Archeological Museum of Thessaloniki. The acropolis of Antigoneia, which is situated near the New Gonia, is of great interest. It was built in a natural bastion by the Macedonian King Antigonos Gonatas in 280 b.c. Its name survived during the Byzantine years in two villages of Ano and Kato Antigoneia.

The Municipality of Kallikrateia has many good beaches, which every year attract thousands of tourists.

The visitors receive good services because Kallkirateia has a great number of hotels, rooms to let and restaurants. If someone wants to spend his vacation by the sea, he must certainly visit Kallikrateia. The days during summertime will be unforgettable. Furthermore, after a pleasant day on the beach, nightlife begins ………and the visitor has a lot of choices to find whatever he likes!

Posted by

Saint Mamas

Is a village with 1342 inhabitants, which is located between the peninsulas of Kassandra and Sithonia. The biggest hotels and municipal camping are located ?n the seaside settlements of “Portes”, “Varkes”, and “Gremia”, which are situated towards Thermaikos Gulf.

New resorts have started to develop on the beaches towards the Toronaios Gulf. The village is well known for the “trade fair of Agios Mamas” that takes place every September and attracts thousands of visitors.

History: The oldest organized human settlement is known to be in the region of Ag. Mamas. It was situated in the homonymous somersault (excavations are made) and existed there since 5000 b.c. Some documents of Mount Athos, dated 1047 b.c., refer to the existence of the village and what is more they refer to it with the same name. In 1423 Agios Mamas was taken under the Turkish domination and in the middle of the 15th century the village belonged to a Turk leader (Michael Beis). In 1821 the habitants of Agios Mamas participated in the Greek revolution.

The first known historic evidence for the trade fair is dated in 1870. The village was named after Agios Mamas.

Posted by

Polygyros

Polygyros

Polygyros (Poliyiros), North – Central Halkidiki

Polygyros, is the capital of the Halkidiki, which during the last years it has developed and transformed into a modern country town, preserving though its nobility and tradition color, showing the identification of Halkidiki, in qualitative ways. Wandering into the streets and alleys of Polygiros, the visitor can reach the elements of nature, but its modern reality too.

Polyigiros is the Administrative Center of the Prefecture, and it aims at becoming the point of reference of civilization, sports, art and education through the various activities that keep pace with the Greek and European spirit. Many events are being organized based on the quality of the activities that great cultural centers and monuments have, such as the Archaeological and Folklore Museum, the new pedestrian zone – full of the mountainous Greece colors, the characteristic churches of the Greek countryside, are few of the most beautiful characteristics the visitor can find out in Polygiros.

Moreover, the visitor can find really fascinating the path towards the mountain on the enchanting and imposing Holomonta, where on its slopes the village Taxiarhis is located and on its feet the villages Vrastama, Keli, Plana, St. Prodromos and Palaiokastro.

All these are places that have their own “personality” and “character”, they contribute in keeping alive the Greek tradition and the costumes with this unique way that makes Greece one of a kind in the whole world because of the inhabitant’s picturesqueness way of life.

Where to Stay

Photos

Posted by

Nea Tenedos

The first residents of the apartment were refugees from the island of Tenedos. Today, Nea Tenedos counts 368 inhabitants engaged in agriculture and stockbreeding. The greater part of New Tenedos is flat and grows the cultivation of olives, cereals, vegetables, fistikodentron and cotton.

The cultivated areas occupy a significant percentage of the total area, which determines the flora of the region. North of the Municipal District of New Tenedos is the massif Mound or Little Goat with rich limestone rocks, which prompted the development of quarrying in the area and its characterization as a quarry zone. The New Tenedos forms Triglia geothermal field where the water temperature reaches 42 degrees Celsius.

Posted by

Megali Panagia

Megali Panagia - Halkidiki School

M. Panagia is built on the feet of the mountain Htikela, and is situated at a distance 16 km away from the sea. It is about a beautiful village, where the combination of the green natural landscape with the great architecture of Macedonia –Halkidiki the visitor can see in the houses, is unique.

A walk on the traditional paved alleys can satisfy even the most difficult visitor. M. Panagia preserves its own picturesque character, as the traditional color of the buildings and the preservation of the local customs represents a priceless deposit for the next generations. The majority of the inhabitants work in the mines, and more specifically in the Mine of Stratoni.

The rest are occupied in cattle breeding, woodcutting and agriculture. It has about 3000 habitants (2.749 according to the inventory of 2001). As far as the infrastructure is concerned M. Panagia presents a satisfying image. In order to cover the needs of the inhabitants all the necessary measures have been taken and certain activities have been made within the initiative of the Municipality, so that the bodies are ready to face everything, whenever is needed.

The active workforce in combination with the evaluation possibilities of the region, form the conditions for the development of M. Panagia, making it a region with a natural beauty and an ideal qualify of life. The fact that M. Panagia manages to keep the young people in the village is well known. This is due to the offer of professional opportunities and possibilities and due to the provision of amusement and entertainment facilities. M. Panagia attracts a religious tourism, because of the numerous churches the village has and because of the intense religious emotion of its inhabitants.

The Church of the Assumption, which is situated 2 km outside the village, Panagouda (which was built in 1007 a.c.), which is located in the northeast side of the village and the church of St. Vasileios (which was built in 1955 a.c) situated in the village’s center consist of remarkable religious monuments. All three churches preserve a traditional architecture, after many efforts of restoration. The inhabitants of the village together as one body celebrate religious fests, attracting visitors from all the regions.

Posted by

Krini

The Municipal District of the fountain with a population of 574 inhabitants is the oldest community in the Municipality of keeping up to date almost unchanged the local element dating back to the Byzantine times. It is the northernmost district of the municipality Triglia near the borders with the prefecture of Thessaloniki.

Posted by

Doumbia

Doumbia, North-Central Halkidiki

Doumpia have acquired a special place not only in Greece, but also in an international level. The exploitation of the well-known sources with their popular mineral water, contributed to the revitalization of the area.

Posted by

Vrastama

Situated at the foothills of Holomontas and characterized as a mountainous region. The distance is 11 km Polygiros.
Today the population of boiled amounts to eight hundred and fifty (850) residents. The main occupation is farming tasks, olive production and grain, as well as the production of firewood.
In the production and processing of olives are two large units mills. Equally important is their occupation in farming, apiculture, and also there are loggers and laborers. The products of this place is olive-oil, cereals, honey, charcoal and the traditional drink, called “cranberry.”
The attractions of this place is the village church “Annunciation.” Important point is visit the cave of St. Euthymius. Located in a beautiful place surrounded by waterfalls and trees. There the hermit Saint Euthymius and now there’s cave built on a rock. His memory is celebrated on October 14.

Partners

booking.com
Booking engine provided by booking.com


tripadvisor.com
Hotels/Apartments reviews by tripadvisor.com


Zoottle, Social WiFi for Hotels

Social Networks

Follow us on facebook Follow us on twitter View us on pinterest View us on google plus gohakidiki on instagram gohakidiki on you tube gohakidiki on linnkedin