Filippoi was an ancient city of Eastern Macedonia, Known under the name of Krenides. The history of Filippoi settlement begins as early as 360 BC, when colonists from Thasos set the foundations of the original city, Krenides. When threatened by Thracians in 356 BC, they seek for the help of Phillip II (father of Alexander the Great) who, having seen into its financial and strategic importance takes over the city, fortifies it and renames it Filippoi.
After the Filippoi battle in 42 BC, the city becomes a Roman colony and grows especially important due to its location on Via Egnatia.
Another significant period was in the years 49 or 50 CE, when Apostle Paul visited Filippoi and founded there the first Christian Church in Europe. This action designated the city as a metropolis of Christianity. During the Byzantine times (963-969 CE), the city’s fortification is reconstructed along with its towers and the wall of the city’s acropolis.
Excavation research began in Filippoi in 1914, realized by the French Archaeological School. After the 2nd World War, both the Greek Archaeological Service and the Archaeological Society conducted systematic excavations. Archaeological research is still being conducted to the present, by the Greek Archaeological Service, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the French Archaeological School. The finds from the excavations are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Filippoi.
Restorative works have been held in the majority of the archaeological site of Filippoi’ monuments. Today, a project of stabilization, restoration and reformation of the ancient theatre takes place, within the framework of the European Project 1994 “Historical Buildings and Entertainment Sites”.
Prices do not include admission fees for entering museums and archaeological sites.
( Book Now and Pay only 20% Deposit )