It is located on the foothills of Mount Holomontas and in the 2001 Consensus had 449 residents. The cultural club “Geroplatanos” organizes various happenings throughout the year.
The chapel of Panagia (Our Lady) on a wooded area filled with plane and walnut trees is one of the most noteworthy sights in the village. Paleochori and Geroplatanos form the Zervochoria which have given their name also to the Municipality.
The name of the village comes from the long-lived plane tree, standing in the village square at more than 20m. high, while its perimeter exceeds 15m. The tree has indeed been declared and listed as a monument of nature in 1976.
Polygyros (Poliyiros), North – Central Halkidiki
Polygyros, is the capital of the Halkidiki, which during the last years it has developed and transformed into a modern country town, preserving though its nobility and tradition color, showing the identification of Halkidiki, in qualitative ways. Wandering into the streets and alleys of Polygiros, the visitor can reach the elements of nature, but its modern reality too.
Polyigiros is the Administrative Center of the Prefecture, and it aims at becoming the point of reference of civilization, sports, art and education through the various activities that keep pace with the Greek and European spirit. Many events are being organized based on the quality of the activities that great cultural centers and monuments have, such as the Archaeological and Folklore Museum, the new pedestrian zone – full of the mountainous Greece colors, the characteristic churches of the Greek countryside, are few of the most beautiful characteristics the visitor can find out in Polygiros.
Moreover, the visitor can find really fascinating the path towards the mountain on the enchanting and imposing Holomontas, where on its slopes the village Taxiarhis is located and on its feet the villages Vrastama, Keli, Plana, St. Prodromos and Palaiokastro.
All these are places that have their own “personality” and “character”, they contribute in keeping alive the Greek tradition and the costumes with this unique way that makes Greece one of a kind in the whole world because of the inhabitant’s picturesqueness way of life.
The first residents of the apartment were refugees from the island of Tenedos. Today, Nea Tenedos counts 368 inhabitants engaged in agriculture and stockbreeding. The greater part of New Tenedos is flat and grows the cultivation of olives, cereals, vegetables, fistikodentron and cotton.
The cultivated areas occupy a significant percentage of the total area, which determines the flora of the region. North of the Municipal District of New Tenedos is the massif Mound or Little Goat with rich limestone rocks, which prompted the development of quarrying in the area and its characterization as a quarry zone. The New Tenedos forms Triglia geothermal field where the water temperature reaches 42 degrees Celsius.
M. Panagia is built on the feet of the mountain Htikela, and is situated at a distance 16 km away from the sea. It is about a beautiful village, where the combination of the green natural landscape with the great architecture of Macedonia –Halkidiki the visitor can see in the houses, is unique.
A walk on the traditional paved alleys can satisfy even the most difficult visitor. M. Panagia preserves its own picturesque character, as the traditional color of the buildings and the preservation of the local customs represents a priceless deposit for the next generations. The majority of the inhabitants work in the mines, and more specifically in the Mine of Stratoni.
The rest are occupied in cattle breeding, woodcutting and agriculture. It has about 3000 habitants (2.749 according to the inventory of 2001). As far as the infrastructure is concerned M. Panagia presents a satisfying image. In order to cover the needs of the inhabitants all the necessary measures have been taken and certain activities have been made within the initiative of the Municipality, so that the bodies are ready to face everything, whenever is needed.
The active workforce in combination with the evaluation possibilities of the region, form the conditions for the development of M. Panagia, making it a region with a natural beauty and an ideal qualify of life. The fact that M. Panagia manages to keep the young people in the village is well known. This is due to the offer of professional opportunities and possibilities and due to the provision of amusement and entertainment facilities. M. Panagia attracts a religious tourism, because of the numerous churches the village has and because of the intense religious emotion of its inhabitants.
The Church of the Assumption, which is situated 2 km outside the village, Panagouda (which was built in 1007 a.c.), which is located in the northeast side of the village and the church of St. Vasileios (which was built in 1955 a.c) situated in the village’s center consist of remarkable religious monuments. All three churches preserve a traditional architecture, after many efforts of restoration. The inhabitants of the village together as one body celebrate religious fests, attracting visitors from all the regions.
The Municipal District of the fountain with a population of 574 inhabitants is the oldest community in the Municipality of keeping up to date almost unchanged the local element dating back to the Byzantine times. It is the northernmost district of the municipality Triglia near the borders with the prefecture of Thessaloniki.
Doumbia, North-Central Halkidiki
Doumpia have acquired a special place not only in Greece, but also in an international level. The exploitation of the well-known sources with their popular mineral water, contributed to the revitalization of the area.
Situated at the foothills of Holomontas and characterized as a mountainous region. The distance is 11 km Polygiros.
Today the population of boiled amounts to eight hundred and fifty (850) residents. The main occupation is farming tasks, olive production and grain, as well as the production of firewood.
In the production and processing of olives are two large units mills. Equally important is their occupation in farming, apiculture, and also there are loggers and laborers. The products of this place is olive-oil, cereals, honey, charcoal and the traditional drink, called “cranberry.”
The attractions of this place is the village church “Annunciation.” Important point is visit the cave of St. Euthymius. Located in a beautiful place surrounded by waterfalls and trees. There the hermit Saint Euthymius and now there’s cave built on a rock. His memory is celebrated on October 14.
Built near a beautiful forest with incredible growth potential of tourism. Moreover, they have already created remarkable guesthouses, while many residents engaged in logging. With a population of 712 inhabitants is the only department of the Municipality Arnaias bordering sea
A mountainous village, which has intensively the historic and cultural characteristics of Halkidiki. The economy of the village (apart form the cattle breeding) depended for many years on the exploitation of minerals and magnesite deposits. After the mine closed down the last decade, the Municipality and the local bodies are making important efforts so as the mine starts operating again.
Arnea, North – Central Halkidiki
Arnea is one of the most picturesque villages of North Halkidiki.
It is also the headquarters of the Cathedral of Ierissos, Mount Athos and of Adrameri. It is built on an altitude of 600 meters, on the feet of the Holomontas mountain.
Thucydides mentions Arnea under the name of Arni, while it is from here that Vrasidas passed during the Peloponnese War. For reasons that remain largely unknown, this ancient city was destroyed and various settlements took its place during the centuries that followed. From the middle of the 18th century it emerges in various sources, as part of the Mademochoria [loosely translated as “cast iron villages”. Its residents joined the Revolution in 1821 and the village was burned to the ground by Bayram Pasa, on the aftermath of the crush of the uprising in Halkidiki. They also have fought in the Greek Struggle for Macedonia and indeed organized a local committee. Until 1928 its name was Raligova.
Arnea is renowned for its traditional buildings. The old school dating from 1872 next to the central church now houses the town hall. Also of interest is the post-Byzantine church of St. Stephan (Ag. Stefanos) (1812), while its bell tower dates from 1889. Some of the traditional houses in Arnea were built in the first half of the 19th century (few of these have survived but are abandoned), but most were built between 1850 and 1945 (two-storey, stone build edifices with sleeping rooms and cellar)
In the southeast, ahead of it, lies a valley full of green meadows and right across it the visitor can admire the forests of the Drevenikos mountain.
Agios Prodromos located at the foothill of mount Holomontas and it’s 14 km away from Poligiros.
The population amounts to 500 residents. It is worth mentioning that the village residents come from different places of Greece such as Morias, Ipiros, Macedonia and Thrace. They mostly activate at agriculture, cattle-breading, tourism. The products they produce are cereals, traditional bread and great souvlaki.
The village’s sights include the river that crosses the village which is surrounded by wild vegetation. There is also the beautiful square which is skirted by taverns. Quite important is the reference to the country curch of Agios Prodromos, one of the post-Byzantine country churches of Halkidiki, that has significant value for the people.
Taxiarhis, North – Central Halkidiki
Taxiarhis is built near the crown of mount Holomontas at altitude of 650 m. The tradition conects Taxiarhis with Agio Oros(Holy Mountain) and especially with the monastery of Dohiarios and the monastery dependency of Archangel Michael. It’s previous name was Lokovi and was officially named Taxiarhis in 1928 after the patron saint of the village, Archangel Michael.
It is 25 klm away from Polygyros and according to the inventory of 2001 the population amounts to 1078 people.
The people mainly deal with woodcutting, produce of cordwood, agriculture and cattlebreeding. Also reputable are the builters, the stonecutters and the craftsmen from Taxiarhis who work all over Halkidiki. Many women deal with weaving, knitting and needlework, while important part of income emanates from the culture of fir for christmas trees.
Finally, continuously more people deal with agritourism.
The village Metaggitsi is situated southward of the prefecture of Halkidiki, among the peninsula of Mount Athos and Sithonia and after Agios Nikolaos at a height about 150m.
Northeast, there are the hills “Marmarades” where the archaeologic research situates the ancient town “Assa”.
Metaggitsi became known as an autonomic municipality at 1920. Until then it was belonged to the municipality of Agios Nikolaos . Some of the citizens are occupied with agriculture, other with farming and some other with building jobs. Metaggitsi also produces olive oil, wine, and tsipouro.
ASSOCIATION of TOURIST ACCOMMODATION “XENIOS ZEUS”