Built near a beautiful forest with incredible growth potential of tourism. Moreover, they have already created remarkable guesthouses, while many residents engaged in logging. With a population of 712 inhabitants is the only department of the Municipality Arnaias bordering sea
A mountainous village, which has intensively the historic and cultural characteristics of Halkidiki. The economy of the village (apart form the cattle breeding) depended for many years on the exploitation of minerals and magnesite deposits. After the mine closed down the last decade, the Municipality and the local bodies are making important efforts so as the mine starts operating again.
Arnea, North – Central Halkidiki
Arnea is one of the most picturesque villages of North Halkidiki.
Thucydides mentions Arnea under the name of Arni, while it is from here that Vrasidas passed during the Peloponnese War. For reasons that remain largely unknown, this ancient city was destroyed and various settlements took its place during the centuries that followed. From the middle of the 18th century it emerges in various sources, as part of the Mademochoria [loosely translated as “cast iron villages”. Its residents joined the Revolution in 1821 and the village was burned to the ground by Bayram Pasa, on the aftermath of the crush of the uprising in Halkidiki. They also have fought in the Greek Struggle for Macedonia and indeed organized a local committee. Until 1928 its name was Raligova.
Arnea is renowned for its traditional buildings. The old school dating from 1872 next to the central church now houses the town hall. Also of interest is the post-Byzantine church of St. Stephan (Ag. Stefanos) (1812), while its bell tower dates from 1889. Some of the traditional houses in Arnea were built in the first half of the 19th century (few of these have survived but are abandoned), but most were built between 1850 and 1945 (two-storey, stone build edifices with sleeping rooms and cellar)
In the southeast, ahead of it, lies a valley full of green meadows and right across it the visitor can admire the forests of the Drevenikos mountain.
Agios Prodromos located at the foothill of mount Holomontas and it’s 14 km away from Poligiros.
The population amounts to 500 residents. It is worth mentioning that the village residents come from different places of Greece such as Morias, Ipiros, Macedonia and Thrace. They mostly activate at agriculture, cattle-breading, tourism. The products they produce are cereals, traditional bread and great souvlaki.
The village’s sights include the river that crosses the village which is surrounded by wild vegetation. There is also the beautiful square which is skirted by taverns. Quite important is the reference to the country curch of Agios Prodromos, one of the post-Byzantine country churches of Halkidiki, that has significant value for the people.
Taxiarhis, North – Central Halkidiki
Taxiarhis is built near the crown of mount Holomontas at altitude of 650 m. The tradition conects Taxiarhis with Agio Oros(Holy Mountain) and especially with the monastery of Dohiarios and the monastery dependency of Archangel Michael. It’s previous name was Lokovi and was officially named Taxiarhis in 1928 after the patron saint of the village, Archangel Michael.
It is 25 klm away from Polygyros and according to the inventory of 2001 the population amounts to 1078 people.
The people mainly deal with woodcutting, produce of cordwood, agriculture and cattlebreeding. Also reputable are the builters, the stonecutters and the craftsmen from Taxiarhis who work all over Halkidiki. Many women deal with weaving, knitting and needlework, while important part of income emanates from the culture of fir for christmas trees.
Finally, continuously more people deal with agritourism.
Stratoni is located 102 km away from Thessaloniki and 56 km away from Polygiros. An ancient war memorial, which was found in the region (1st century b.c.) and it has impressive statues, tomb, vessels, e.t.c , indicates the position were the city Stratonikeia flourished which is located in the so-called position “Elaionas” of the community Stratonion, where a part of a public roman building has been excavated.
The city was possibly established by Dimitrios Poliorkitis, to honor his mother Stratoniki or his daughter. About 35 years ago a war memorial in Stratoni was researched, that is a tomb –monument, which had two male and one female statues, the well known “Despoina” of Stratoni, which is exposed to the Museum of Polygiros. The inscriptions that found there, show that the monument is dated in the years of Jesus.
For further information you can visit our friendly site www.stratoni.net
Stagira is the birthtown of Aristotles. It is found built on the foot the Stratoniki Mountain(Strempenikos), at an altitude of 500 roughly metres. At the entrance of the village, visitors can visit the park in which the Statue of Aristotles stands proudly surrounded by monuments such as towers, public baths and the tower of Madem Aga, from the period of Sidirokafsia. Sidirokafsia was the administrative centre of the region,and had its own mint. Further down going to the village, we see the central temple dedicated to the “Birthday of the Virgin Mary”. It is of great historical importance, and was built in 1814 with the help of the Hilandari Monastery on Mount Athos.
Also very interesting is the small chapel dedicated to the “Virgin Mary the Spilotissa” built in rock. In this area the big village feast takes place , on the 8th of September. Visitors can walk in the everygreen paths with a panoramic view. There are about 500 residents that live in the village today and they deal mainly with the exploitation of mining wealth and forests. The beautiful and historical village of Stagira is located above the central road of Thessaloniki – Ouranoupolis approximately 8 kilometres from the sea.
Northeast, there are the hills “Marmarades” where the archaeologic research situates the ancient town “Assa”.
Metaggitsi became known as an autonomic municipality at 1920. Until then it was belonged to the municipality of Agios Nikolaos . Some of the citizens are occupied with agriculture, other with farming and some other with building jobs. Metaggitsi also produces olive oil, wine, and tsipouro.
The natural beauty and the archaeological sites of great historic interest attract the visitors who come to Olympiada for the first time, as they combine sea activities with sightseeing and knowledge.
Olympiada is located on the Strimonikos Gulf, on the northeastern side of Halkidiki and is only 95 km from Thessaloniki, through Stavros.
Nea Roda is the biggest refugee village in northern Halkidiki. It was founded immediately after the Asia Minor destruction in a place called “Provlakas” (= before the avlaki = before Xerxe’s Canal ) by roughly 40 refugee families which, after a year of roaming, reached Halkidiki in the summer of 23′ and came to this area. They came from Roda in the area of Propontida near the Marmara Sea or “Sea of the Greek spirit”.In 1901, about 700 Greek people lived in the village. According to tradition they were settlers from Roda. In the village at that time there were also about 100 Turks living here, who had come from Koutali in 1700 , by a Turkish order.
The whole area but also the wider region is presented as paradise: Rich sea and fertile soil. They produced silk from silkworm cocoons, granite in blocks, fish, fruit, olives, grapes, onions and a lot of other products,which they promoted with boats to Istambul. They had three churches (biggest being the church of Saint Dimitris) and an upgraded level of school. Up to 1912 they lived happily. Then things started to change when new Turks arrived. In all the Greek Asia Minor villages, the fear of slaughter and exile prevailed, with the known conclusion of that black August in 1922. The people of Roda fled in two different ways : Two boats left for Mitilini, while most pass over to the island of Aloni and afterwards over to the island of Marmaras. After 20 days the ship called Propontis picked them up and took them over to an area in Thessaloniki called Karabournaki, in order to end up in an area called Saint Barbara in Ano Toumba.There they scattered in small teams.
In 1923 the team in Mitilini is the one that reached this region first, rejecting the place of current Ouranoupolis considering it small and narrow so it resided for a few months off-handedly in Ierissos. There they proposed for their new village to be established after the harbour of Ierissos, but the locals were opposed to this in fear of future union. So they finally selected the place “Provlakas” and gave it the obvious name “Nea Roda”.
Ierissos is the oldest and biggest village of the Municipality with 3118 residents. It is reported by historians as the continuation of Ancient Acanthus , which was a colony of Andros since the 7th century B.C and an important city of Macedonia The local residents deal mainly with fishing and tourism. During the more recent years,important professional activity related to Mount Athos has also developed.
It constitutes an important harbour for Northern Greece with lots of fishing activity .The fishes found in the gulf of Ierissos are well known for their taste throughout all of Greece.
The sandy beaches as well as the live amusement offered in Ierissos make it a unique place for vacations. The impressive social and cultural activity of the residents roots go back centuries and a sample of this are the many traditional songs that remain alive and are still sang up to today.
A lot of associations have been founded with a variety of activities,incuding the cultural association “Kligenis”, the association “Friends of Environment”, and the music association “Acanthus “. There are also lots of professional associations (fishing, trade, builders association etc)
Stratoniki is one of the mountainous villages within the Municipality, with a panoramic view towards the gulf of Ierissos and the peninsula of Athos. It is one of the mademohoria and the locals – mainly during the old days – had as main occupation mining. It is believed that the village was built by the king of Macedonia Perdikas,in honour of his brother Stratonikis.
Stratoniki’s big acne began in 1530 during the reign of the sultan Souleiman the 1st. He reorganized the mines of the Ottoman empire, that were known in the region since the Byzantine period such as Sidirokafsia and Siderokava. During that time apart from Greeks,workers of many other nationalities (Bulgarians, Serbs,Turks, Albanians, Jews, and even German as technicians) came to the area in search of work.
The acne of the mines turned Stratoniki into a big and flourishing centre, as there were more than 6.000 workers, in the 500-600 furnaces, scattered in the mountains. All this constituted a small Babel, as many languages were spoken by the the workers of various origins. Greek, Spanish-Jewishand a lot of Balkan languages.
The Jews practised mainly the money-changing profession and it seems that there were many of them because they dominated the market. The Jewish money-changers and Turkish tenants of the mines bought from the miners silver at state prices. It is not therefore by no means strange if Spanish was imposed as the common language of agreement. In any case, Greek and Serbian were spoken by the villagers in the market where they came to in order to sell their products. Thus, when the Jews kept their shops closed, the market would die down so consequently the days off in Sidirokafsia were two, Saturdays for the Jews and Sundays for the Christians.
It has been determined that by the mid 16th century, the sultan took from the mines, minerals valued about 20.000-30.000 golden coins. In Sidirokafsia it is believed that a mint functioned since the period of Murat the 2nd ! (1421-1451).
Source: Official Site of Municipality
Nikiti Sithonia Halkidiki
Where to stay
Things to do
Photo credits: Enroll
Parthenonas, Sithonia Halkidiki
Traditional village 5 km from Neos Marmaras. Visit it and find a traditional stone village by the forest.
The name Parthenonas is mentioned in documents from 10th century but there is no much information about the village itself and its role in the past. In 1970 the site was rediscovered and called The abandoned village of Sithonia since only abandoned and ruined houses were found in it.
Where to stay
Things to do
Sarti Sithonia Halkidiki
Sarti is located in the eastern part of Sithonia.
Named probably from the ancient city that was there, since Herodotus mentions this ancient city as a station of the campaign of Xerxes.
Beautiful resort where you can find unique closed isolated beaches with turquoise waters and white sand.
There are accommodations that promise you a comfortable holiday.
For the lovers of nature will find and organized camping.
Fresh fish and traditional stews can be found in restaurants and taverns.
Where to stay
Things to do
Sykia (Sikia) Sithonia Halkidiki
Sykia is the southernmost village of Sithonia peninsula in Halkidiki, 160 km distance from Thessaloniki. The houses retain their traditional character in regard to the monastic architecture. 3 km away from the traditional village you will find the Sykia beach.
The most famus and amazing beaches in Sykia is Pigadaki and Kriaritsi beach.
On the way to Kriaritsi see the maze of paved roads, which were made some years back for a massive resort but have since been abandoned.
the cultural association of Sykia called “The Sykiotakia”.
Where to stay
Things to do
Toroni Sithonia Halkidiki
Things to do
Vatopedi, Sithonia Halkidiki
Vatopedi is the settlement of those refugees who came from Near East and settled in the village after the Near East Ruin.
It is built of a hill on the east coast of the Havria river, at a distance of only 5 km from Ormylia.It owes its name to the fact that the settlement of the refugees was made on the property of the Batopedi Monastery of Mount Athos, which was then expropriated.
Since 1971 the settlement was a independent community.
Psakoudia Sithonia Halkidiki
Psakoudia is the seaport of Ormylia and its settlement gathers the largest part of the tourist activity and development of the region.
It is built by the sea and on the road net Thessaloniki–Sithonia. It is a mainly a resort, on a seaside area, very beautiful and easily accessible. It has 120 residents who are mainly occupied with tourism, while during summertime the population comes up to 4.000 habitants.
The old’s quarry port and the Settlement of Psakoudia. The settlement’s infrastructure includes 4 big hotels (600 beds, totally), about 500 rooms to let, a camp and many restaurants, confectionaries and cafes.
In 1993 the Ministry of Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works approved an urban design on the expansion of the settlement in a region of 600 acres of communal land, which provides a lot of potentials for the future development of the settlement.