It is located on the foothills of Mount Holomontas and in the 2001 Consensus had 449 residents. The cultural club “Geroplatanos” organizes…Read More
Doumpia have acquired a special place not only in Greece, but also in an international level. The exploitation of the well-known sources with their popular mineral water, contributed to the revitalization of the .
The village was named after the two tumuli, which were on the plain, north of the village. The word tumulus (timvos), in the local dialect, became a tuba – a “toubia”, resulting in the establishment and name of the village named Doympia until today. Another view argues that the word Doympia in Slavic means oak. Perhaps it was so named from the oak forest that existed in the area.
The church of Agia Paraskevi was restored underground in 1852, with a license granted by a sultan firman. The most important heirloom that is preserved in the church is a Russian anti-monastery dating back to 1707.
The sights of the village include the eight watermills, the most important and best preserved, the Piper (1890), Koutsos (1865) and Tsourela (1888) water mill. The visitor can tour the forest with the ancient oak trees while at a distance of 3 km north of the village, excavations by the archaeological service have revealed part of the city of the Kalindos.