Taxiarhis, North – Central Halkidiki
Taxiarhis is built near the crown of mount Holomontas at altitude of 650 m. The tradition conects Taxiarhis with Agio Oros(Holy Mountain) and especially with the monastery of Dohiarios and the monastery dependency of Archangel Michael. It’s previous name was Lokovi and was officially named Taxiarhis in 1928 after the patron saint of the village, Archangel Michael.
It is 25 klm away from Polygyros and according to the inventory of 2001 the population amounts to 1078 people.
The people mainly deal with woodcutting, produce of cordwood, agriculture and cattlebreeding. Also reputable are the builters, the stonecutters and the craftsmen from Taxiarhis who work all over Halkidiki. Many women deal with weaving, knitting and needlework, while important part of income emanates from the culture of fir for christmas trees.
Finally, continuously more people deal with agritourism.